Edwin S. Richards (E.S.R.) Elementary School opened its doors in January of 1951. Originally only four rooms, (plus an indoor activity room) the school has grown considerably since that time. The school was named in honour of Edwin Sidney Richards, who served on Mission’s school boards for 25 years, beginning in 1924 until his retirement in 1949. In honour of this dedicated service, it was decided that the new Cherry street school, upon which building had already commenced, would be named after him. This honour was particularly special as it was the first time a school in this District was named after an individual.
Richards was born in England and came to Canada in 1905. He was a resident of Hatzic Prairie for 47 years and passed away at the age of 83.
2006.015.003; Ed Betterton